
Just in case you were wondering about my ride, it’s called a Surly Disk Trucker and it’s made for long distance bike touring. I bought it used in 2015 before our trip to the Outer Banks. It’s made of steel for carrying heavy loads over long distances and varying road quality. It’s a heavy bike, weighing 45 lbs without the panniers. The two back panniers add about 22 lbs for just under 70 lbs. The gearing is set up for steep climbs and modest speed on the flats. I’ve had it up to 50mph coming down the Sierra Nevada’s with front and rear panniers and it was rock solid. It’s taken me from the Atlantic to the Pacific and from Canada to Mexico among other rides. Sounds like I have a crush on my bike?
|
| We were blessed on this very challenging day with a light tail wind of 5-10mph which probably helped our average speed by 1 or maybe 2mph yet we still had a light wind on our bodies to help blow away the sweat from and help us feel a little bit cooler.
 | | Our weather at 11am. This is not what we had hoped for our ride in September. |
|
 | Around 11 we were deciding where to have lunch in London when I hear this man calling out for help with his bike in the shelter. Robert was from Kentucky and had already ridden his bike from Cincinnati to Cleveland and was on his way back when he got a flat tire. He had one of those new fangled electric air pump’s and couldn’t figure out how to get it attached to his valve stem. I tried it for 30 seconds and then pulled out my faithful hand pump and got him going. I don’t how he’s gotten so far because he was kinda channeling Forrest Gump for me but I guess if Forrest could run across the country so can Robert. Good luck Robert! The guy on the left is a local named Ed. He had just stopped by for all the excitement.
|
 | Sometimes we just stop and stare in silence….
|
 | Sometimes we stop and chat and rejoice that we don’t have heat exhaustion yet. |
 | It’s now about 1:30, the hottest, no shade sunniest part of the day and we’re down to one hour away from checking in to our motel in Columbus. We may be delirious but nothing is gonna stop us now! |
 | I’m not sure but I think that Chris is flipping off that farmer on the tractor. She’s usually so kind and considerate. Could be the delirium I mentioned earlier. We have to be getting close to the motel I hope. |
 | We finally made it to our Red Roof Inn for the night at 2:30. Donna and Peggy are both on fixed incomes and sharing a room for the night. I think they were trying to barter with the desk clerk for the room. After hot showers and perhaps a few naps also, we paraded off to Burnz’ies Old Trail. There were some Yuenglings drank, some laughs, some great bar food like wings, Rueben’s, club sandwich, burger and even a salad by someone who actually cares about her health. We waddled back to the motel across the street and found rest and sleep. Nice hard day team. Bravo!! |
|
50 MPH on a bicycle! No thanks, but I'm not a motorcyclist either, so maybe that gives you more confidence.
ReplyDelete